Stan's State Fan Forum

Dear Guests,

Welcome to Stan's State Fan Forum dedicated to Stan Walker.

Feel free to visit our PORTAL page to glance at the latest news.

In order to view the rest of the forum, meet fellow Stan fans and join in on our discussions, you will need to REGISTER with us. After activation you will be able to log in to the forum with your username and password.
If you have any questions or need help browse our FAQ or CONTACT.

Thank You.
SSFF Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Stan's State Fan Forum

Dear Guests,

Welcome to Stan's State Fan Forum dedicated to Stan Walker.

Feel free to visit our PORTAL page to glance at the latest news.

In order to view the rest of the forum, meet fellow Stan fans and join in on our discussions, you will need to REGISTER with us. After activation you will be able to log in to the forum with your username and password.
If you have any questions or need help browse our FAQ or CONTACT.

Thank You.
SSFF Admin

Stan's State Fan Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stan's State Fan Forum

This is the place for devoted Stan Walker fans to share their love, debate and engage in the career of this exceptional young artist.

New Album
LET THE MUSIC PLAY
Out Now!
New Single
Out Now
Check out Stan Walker's
upcoming appearances near you

+12
Linda
kasjopaia
wolfpackgirl10
Hikoi
Taichimisty
josephineperrot
sarahbunny
stan.the.man
fynesthorse
todreaminblue
Ataahua
Simona
16 posters

Stan's BIO

Simona
    Simona
    State Founder
    State Founder

Stan's BIO Empty Stan's BIO

Post by Simona Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:06 pm

Stanley "Stan" Roto Walker is an Australian born (New Zealand raised-Maori heritage) Soul and R&B singer, signed to Sony Music Entertainment Australia. He was the winner of the seventh season of Australian Idol in 2009 and became the first New Zealander to win the Australian Idol Series. During the show he has gained recognition from mentor artists such as Joel & Benji Madden,Michael Buble, Pete Wentz.

Stan was born 23rd October, 1990 in Melbourne to parents, Ross and April Walker who two weeks after his birth returned to their home in Mt Maunganui, New Zealand. Here Stan grew up in a violent family environment. When he was 5 his father Ross, following April’s footsteps started the road to recovery with the help of the local church.

In the meantime the family moved to Byron Bay, NSW to then return to Mt. Maunganui in 1999 and lived there for two years. During that period while Stan's home life had became one of peace, he was badly affected by the betrayal of someone close to the family. Stan was sexually abuse for 9 months. Shocked and traumatised Stan kept the secret for years. His first teenage years were dark and destructive. He tried suicide a number of times when he was 12, 13 and 14. He used to steal, smoked drugs and live a promiscuous life. His only refuge was singing and music: a place he could go to escape the reality of his troubled life.

The family moved from Mt Maunganui to Hamilton in 2001 and lived there for 3 years. It was then that Stan, watching Guy Sebastian winning the first Australian Idol series (2003), found inspiration and promised himself that one day he would have done the same.

In 2005 the Walker family moved back to Byron Bay. 15yo Stan was still troubled and became more isolated. To use Stan’s own words, he had no purpose in life and he would only find comfort in his music. Finally in 2007, moving to Coolangatta QLD, Stan is introduced to the local church community; reconciliation in his family starts and so the healing process.

Stan credits music and God for steering him in the right direction and says going and singing in church brought joy and happiness into his life.

Today Stan lives in Coolangatta with his family. He was employed at the Robina Shopping Centre as shop assistant before becoming a recording artist on the 22th Nov 2009. He wants to get married soon and possibly have 7 children. He loves big families.

Stan has a tattoo on his neck, Ataahua, a female name in Maori meaning beautiful. It would have been the name of his first daughter. When he was 17, his then girlfriend became pregnant but miscarried. They are no longer together.

About the difficulties he faced growing up Stan says: “You learn from every mistake, you learn from every battle and from every little circumstance that happens. Some people don't grow, some people do and I'm one who grew from it."

As for his bright future, Stan says, "I want to live by actions and not by words. I want to be an example for those who have been and who are in the same position that I've been in, back in the past, so I want to live by example. I want to be an ambassador for broken people who come from the dark into the light."

to be continued....

Source credits:

Stan’s BIO and Profiles on - www.australianidol.com.au
    Aussie Idol Stan's mum tells of abuse - www.stuff.co.nz/
    Stan Walker on 20/20: Stan the man - tvnz.co.nz/tv2
    Idol’s Stan Walker wants wife and 7 kids -
    www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/11/05/155111.
    Chapter 2: Interview with Stan Walker - tvnz.co.nz/marae/video

Last edited by Simona on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 12 times in total (Reason for editing : BIO updated)
    Ataahua
    Ataahua

Stan's BIO Empty Re: Stan's BIO

Post by Ataahua Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Simona7 wrote:He has a tattoo on his neck that says “Ataahua” in Maori language meaning beautiful. He had the tattoo done when he entered the top 100 in Idol competition. He says it is a female name and is destined to be the one for his first daughter.

awwwwwww! :)

i didn't know that bit about the daughter thing.
    which reminds me....I saw on FB today, somebody said the name was of the baby he had lost! I was like: "what??!! where did that come from???" Shocked
    todreaminblue
    todreaminblue
    STANnified
    STANnified

Stan's BIO Empty great bio

Post by todreaminblue Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:13 pm

Excellent bio simona.......so cool too cool for school....;0)
    Simona
    Simona
    State Founder
    State Founder

Post by Simona Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Ataahua wrote:
    Simona7 wrote:He has a tattoo on his neck that says “Ataahua” in Maori language meaning beautiful. He had the tattoo done when he entered the top 100 in Idol competition. He says it is a female name and is destined to be the one for his first daughter.

awwwwwww! :)

i didn't know that bit about the daughter thing.
    which reminds me....I saw on FB today, somebody said the name was of the baby he had lost! I was like: "what??!! where did that come from???" Shocked
    Yes, I also knew that from an interview on the papers. I didn't want to mention it on the bio... but i guess is public enough now, if it's on FB. I tried to search for the interview on the net but couldn't find it. I know there is one but can't remember the name of the paper... I was in shocked too when i read that... must have been so much pain Stan's BIO Icon_sad

If I find the piece of info i'll post it :)
    Simona
    Simona
    State Founder
    State Founder

Post by Simona Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:46 pm

todreaminblue wrote:Excellent bio simona.......so cool too cool for school....;0)
    thanks dreamy Stan's BIO Icon_flower
    fynesthorse
    OutSTANding
    OutSTANding

Post by fynesthorse Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:17 am

omggg , i didn`t know about the sexual abuse part :( ..
    Simona
    Simona
    State Founder
    State Founder

Stan's BIO Empty Stan's Biography through his own words

Post by Simona Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:15 pm

"I want people to not just hear the songs I sing, but I want them to feel the heart behind it. It's so much more than a pretty lyric, and a pretty melody, I just want them to feel the soul behind my voice, and get a sense of who I am."

Despite the audience votes, the judge's praise, the cheering, the applause and the fireworks, Australian Idol Stan Walker is still in a state of disbelief of everything that's happened to him in recent weeks. "It hasn't sunk in at all yet. I don't know... I've been really busy since winning the show so I haven't really had time to sit down and think about it. All throughout, it wasn't about the actual winning of the show for me, it was about succeeding along the way. With all the support I had throughout the show, it already really felt like I was winning ... it wasn't just about the end result," he says modestly.

Thrilled to have won the show, and to more importantly have kick-started his dreams of becoming a recording artist, and signing with Sony Music, Stan Walker is on top of the world right now. The unassuming, likable boy from Coolangatta QLD stunned audiences and judges with the depth of his talent and his surprisingly-mature soulful voice, which spurred international superstar Michael Bublé to say in awe to Stan, "That voice... it's like God kissed your throat".

"I don't even know what to say about that - it's a real humbling thing, eh? I felt kinda strange that they said those kind of things to me because I'm just no one really. I just do my thing and try to sing the best that I can. I can't really explain how I feel about it because I get a bit embarrassed. It was really encouraging to hear though," says Stan of the effect his voice had on velvet-crooner Bublé .

Born in Melbourne, Stan and his family moved back and forth from Australia to New Zealand, spending relatively equal periods of his life in both countries. The 19 year-old singer says his heart belongs to both countries, and is fortunate that both countries have embraced him so whole-heartedly.

"I love Australia, it's become my new home. New Zealand will always be my first home, but I like to call myself a Mozzie-boy these days - which is a Māori/Ozzie! Australia is the place of opportunity, especially for my people, and it's just been fantastic that I was able to come over here and have Australians support me, regardless of what color I am, or where I'm from. I really do thank Australia a lot for giving me the opportunity to live my dream out. It's been amazing."

As one of five children in the Walker family, Stan remembers that despite some tough and very trying times growing up, that music was always a very fond part of his memories. "Māoris sing at wedding and funerals, and all of our big occasions - it's part of who we are, and what we do as a community. My whole family is musical - we're kinda like a family-band; a very different kind of Brady Bunch! Our culture is very musical, so we've brought up with music as being an important part of our lives.

"Music has always been some sort of an escape for me; somewhere I could kind of refuge myself. I always turned to music when I needed to - it was my security blanket. If I was feeling down, I'd go to my room, and just try and sing myself to sleep."

As his teenage years progressed it was obvious to those around him - his family, friends, and the people at his church - that Stan possessed a very special gift as a singer, but despite having his dreams, Stan was not really sure whether he would make a career out of singing. "Before Idol I was working in retail in a menswear shop. I'd always had big dreams, but I just never really thought about the reality of actually making it happen. I knew that I wanted singing to be my life, but I never knew that it would be taken to this level. "We never had any kind of industry connections previously. There were some managers who were interested in me earlier on, but my mum felt I was too young at the time. None of us knew anything about how the music industry really worked - it was a mystery to us. Then Idol came along, and everything changed."

At the heart of Stan Walker's talent is his incredible voice. It is a solid, unwavering, naturally-gifted ability to sing music with soul, which Stan delivers effortlessly. "Soul isn't how deep you sing or what style you sing, it's music that comes from the heart. Soul music is all about wearing your heart on your sleeve; it's something that comes from within, it's not a style of music as such," he says, adding that his favourite singers include the likes of Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle and Renee Geyer.

"I want people to not just hear the songs I sing, but I want them to feel the heart behind it. It's so much more than a pretty lyric, and a pretty melody, I just want them to feel the soul behind my voice, and get a sense of who I am."

Stan laughs when quizzed on audience reactions to his talent. "I know I can sing, but right now I'm just trying to get used to how everyone is reacting to me and my voice. It's really strange because I've never thought of myself that I could be someone big or great as a singer, so it's all still really weird to me, and I'm buzzing out about it."

Stan Walker's debut album "Introducing... Stan Walker" is a collection of eleven impressive recordings - cover songs that were featured on his appearances on Australian Idol, as well as a couple of brand new songs, including his debut single "Black Box", which has already found it's way to the top of the Australian charts.

"When I first heard ?Black Box' I thought it was a wicked song, but when I first sang it, it was a bit of a challenge because it wasn't necessarily my type of song to sing straight away. I did always love the song, but singing the song and making it my own was the challenge I had in the beginning. I love the way it turned out, and I'm really proud of it, being my first single."

A collaboration with Guy Sebastian, one of Stan's own personal idols, on a new song called "Think Of Me" is one of the major highlights for the young singer on his debut album. "I feel that this song is really me - it's much more my sort of song naturally; it fits me like a glove. It's a cool soul song which has been modernised by the beat, and I really do love it. Guy helped out with all the backing vocals and production, and he is such an amazing person, and I feel like I've made a really good friend out of working with him. I think he'll be a lifelong friend, and I really feel he's got my back with encouragement and good advice."

Covering the likes of Al Green, James Brown, Prince, Luther Vandross, John Legend on the album, as well as including his incredible version of "Amazing Grace", Stan Walker's debut album highlights the discovery of a truly remarkable young talent. "I love all the songs on the album. I can't pick a favourite. If you wanted me to pick a favourite, I'd tell you one song... then another... and before long I would have listed all the songs on the album," Stan says, grinning enthusiastically.

It's been said that Stan's voice is his greatest asset, and whilst in many senses that may be true, it has also been noticed that Stan's nature, personality, and demeanour is equally valuable. Stan Walker has already emerged as a role model to many people, and he himself realises that his story and experience gives him the opportunity to act as an ambassador and representative for a population of the community who feel isolated and disconnected from mainstream society.

"I really want to represent Polynesian people, Aboriginal people, and other ethic groups of people who have to deal the same kind of issues in their communities, but at the very same time I also want to represent all the young Australians who may also be finding things a little more difficult than others. It's not about where you're from, it's about who you are - my goal is to show people that through the struggle there is definitely a brighter future on the other side. I'm one of those broken people who've gained everything through my experience, and I want to show everyone that it's possible if you stay true to who you are. I really believe that talent can take you so far, but it's your character that can take you all the way."

credit source: http://www.stanwalker.com.au/biography/home.do
    stan.the.man
    stan.the.man
    STAN n00b
    STAN n00b

Post by stan.the.man Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:24 pm

i saw stan today his tat is awesome btw im todreaminblue seconded oldest daughter
    sarahbunny
    sarahbunny
    STANning
    STANning

Post by sarahbunny Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:01 pm

fynesthorse wrote:omggg , i didn`t know about the sexual abuse part :( ..

I know :( very sad their was an interview about it on you tube with Stan talking abit about it...it was the 20/20 interview but the person removed it from you tube Neutral
    josephineperrot
    josephineperrot
    STANning
    STANning

Post by josephineperrot Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:07 pm

but like he said whatever bad happened to him in the past has made him what he is today! is that not lovely that his moved on from such a terrible time in his youth. Shows strength in character and his faith in god
    xx
    sarahbunny
    sarahbunny
    STANning
    STANning

Post by sarahbunny Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Amen josie :)
    Taichimisty
    Taichimisty
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Taichimisty Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Praise the lord..........hallelujah...............and Amen to that one ☀

Cheers
    Taichi
    Hikoi
    Hikoi
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Hikoi Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:59 pm

stan.the.man wrote:i saw stan today his tat is awesome btw im todreaminblue seconded oldest daughter

Hey girl! I'm a bit late, but welcome to the forum! Cool
    wolfpackgirl10
    wolfpackgirl10
    STAN newbie
    STAN newbie

Post by wolfpackgirl10 Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Wow im freaking right now....

Stan has the same birthdate as my husband!!!

NO WONDER I LIKE HIM!! THE SAME BLOODY STAR SIGN!!

LOL

great bio!!
    xo
    fynesthorse
    OutSTANding
    OutSTANding

Post by fynesthorse Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:30 pm

lol @ wolfpack ..

what a coincident ! :)
    Taichimisty
    Taichimisty
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Taichimisty Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:54 am

That's sooooo funny Wolfpack.....must be meant to be hey!

Taichi
    wolfpackgirl10
    wolfpackgirl10
    STAN newbie
    STAN newbie

Post by wolfpackgirl10 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:35 am

Lets put it this way....

come hubbies birthday there will be alot more incentive now!! to reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly celebr8!!

muhuwahahahaha Stan's BIO 361645 evil
    Taichimisty
    Taichimisty
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Taichimisty Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:09 am

LOL...merrily:) @ Wolfpack....more incentive to celebrate big time....you go gurl! Stan's BIO 163212

Taichi
    wolfpackgirl10
    wolfpackgirl10
    STAN newbie
    STAN newbie

Post by wolfpackgirl10 Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:21 am

hmmmmmmmmm

banana cake with choc icing..... Wink

A little candlelit din dins with some "Halleuia" playing in the backround..........Wink

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SOUNDS GOOD!!
    Taichimisty
    Taichimisty
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Taichimisty Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 pm

The cake sounds droolingly yummy......Stan will enjoy the 'home-made' banana cake with chocolate icing....

Taichi
    sarahbunny
    sarahbunny
    STANning
    STANning

Post by sarahbunny Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:41 pm

ohh you found it soooo now you know :( it is sad but as we have said before stan found the courage and strength to move on from his past troubles and found Gid and hasn't looks back Big Smile
    sarahbunny
    sarahbunny
    STANning
    STANning

Post by sarahbunny Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm

What don't you understand?
    sarahbunny
    sarahbunny
    STANning
    STANning

Post by sarahbunny Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 pm

I think he was made to go by his parents, I wouldn't call him 'bad' he did some wrong things but they were fuelled by his anger and confusion from the abuse but in going to church one day he heard a woman speak openely to the church about abuse she went through and Immediabtly stan was changed if she had the courage to speak about her abuse so did Stan, but to answer your question I think he went just because he was made to by his parents.
    kasjopaia
    kasjopaia
    STANdard
    STANdard

Post by kasjopaia Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:01 am

cute poor guy,
    he had 3 suicide attempts. in which he has yet to be determined to nibble. its not so easy to get it out of ones system.
    i know that. i had a suicide attempt with 17.

i wanna hug this guy.
    Taichimisty
    Taichimisty
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Taichimisty Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:30 pm

That so sad Kasjopaia....life throws us a curve ball sometimes.....

Taichi

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:24 pm