Stan's State Fan Forum

Dear Guests,

Welcome to Stan's State Fan Forum dedicated to Stan Walker.

Feel free to visit our PORTAL page to glance at the latest news.

In order to view the rest of the forum, meet fellow Stan fans and join in on our discussions, you will need to REGISTER with us. After activation you will be able to log in to the forum with your username and password.
If you have any questions or need help browse our FAQ or CONTACT.

Thank You.
SSFF Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Stan's State Fan Forum

Dear Guests,

Welcome to Stan's State Fan Forum dedicated to Stan Walker.

Feel free to visit our PORTAL page to glance at the latest news.

In order to view the rest of the forum, meet fellow Stan fans and join in on our discussions, you will need to REGISTER with us. After activation you will be able to log in to the forum with your username and password.
If you have any questions or need help browse our FAQ or CONTACT.

Thank You.
SSFF Admin

Stan's State Fan Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stan's State Fan Forum

This is the place for devoted Stan Walker fans to share their love, debate and engage in the career of this exceptional young artist.

New Album
LET THE MUSIC PLAY
Out Now!
New Single
Out Now
Check out Stan Walker's
upcoming appearances near you

+5
Simona
josephineperrot
Hikoi
sarahbunny
Ataahua
9 posters

[10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker

Ataahua
    Ataahua

[10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker Empty [10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker

Post by Ataahua Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:02 pm

source credit: http://www.heraldsun.com.au + http://www.twitter.com/stanwalker_news

Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker

REVIEW: Stan Walker ran away with this year's Australian Idol title and his debut album's been rushed into print, but is it up to the mark? Read on.

THERE was a moment on Australian Idol when you knew Stan Walker should win.

Among the teenage karaoke on display Walker reinvented Beyonce's wom-anthem Single Ladies as a jazz strut.

Inexplicably, and sadly given it'd be a nice change of tempo, Single Ladies isn't on this covers album rushed out for Christmas. It wasn't for lack of space - Introducing Stan Walker does its introductions in 33 minutes.

Walker could teach the Australian Idol producers something about brevity.

Indeed, he sprints through Queen's We Will Rock You in 1'50" - shaving 10 seconds (and nearly all the grunt) off the original.

And he's taken the Idol truncation approach to his cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah (based on the Jeff Buckley version). His beautiful but brief rendition jettisons some of those pesky verses and choruses to come in under three minutes.

But the reason Walker won is that voice. And that voice soars all over just-like-you-remember-them-on-TV-but-re-recorded-for-boring-contractual-reasons versions of Prince's Purple Rain (again in bite-size length), Al Green's Let's Stay Together, John Legend's Ordinary People and James Brown's It's a Man's Man's Man's World.

Walker glides effortlessly over the Carpenters' classic Superstar and his reading of Amazing Grace is more Luther Vandross than Susan Boyle.

The money shot? That may well be his take on Miley Cyrus's The Climb. Presumably inspired by Guy Sebastian's inspired gospel-tinged reading of the hit by the Nashville brat, it sounds like the kind of uplifting Idol winner's singles we used to get (indeed, it's this year's X Factor winner's song in the UK).

Speaking of Guy Sebastian, he produces (and plays nearly everything on) this album's other new track, Think of Me, a sprightly modern Motown romp that is far more old-school than Walker's commerical-radio-ready winner's single Black Box.

For post-Idol role models, Walker could do far worse than follow Mr Sebastian's lead.

So here's your swift introduction to that voice singing classic songs. Now comes the real test -- to write or find some of his own. CA

The verdict: 3 1/2*
    In a word: promising

reviewed by Cameron Adams

i quite agree with this review. the brevity of the songs is an issue and we all know Stan packs more of a punch singing live without any constraints.
    sarahbunny
    sarahbunny
    STANning
    STANning

[10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker Empty Re: [10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker

Post by sarahbunny Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:26 pm

is that good? he deserves 4 stars atleast
    Ataahua
    Ataahua

[10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker Empty Re: [10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker

Post by Ataahua Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:30 pm

well his criticisms (and hence 3.5 stars) aren't about Stan, rather about the production of the album.
    sarahbunny
    sarahbunny
    STANning
    STANning

Post by sarahbunny Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:36 pm

Ahh ok thanks :) I don't care anyways aslong as it sells well
    Hikoi
    Hikoi
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Hikoi Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:13 pm

but he does say promising! What kind of reviewer is he normally? Anyone know? cyclops
    Ataahua
    Ataahua

Post by Ataahua Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Hikoi wrote:but he does say promising! What kind of reviewer is he normally? Anyone know? cyclops

nope! but usually a newspaper will have a journalist who works on Arts/Entertainment and that person would be responsible for writing up reviews and critiques. I know because I have a friend who works as a Culture Desk journalist and she always gets free concert tickets, CDs, books and restaurant meals!
    josephineperrot
    josephineperrot
    STANning
    STANning

Post by josephineperrot Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:52 pm

from what I have read in the idol forum etc..CD is usually very harsh with idol contestants! so this is actually a very good review from him..the problem when anything is recorded in a studio it is nothing compared to hearing it live like someone said Stan voice is so much better live then on tv.
    but still love the album I think it is the best journey album I have heard
    actually another thing is if someone can remember most journey albums are just the idol performance recording on the show? and are not normally re-recorded?
    Simona
    Simona
    State Founder
    State Founder

Post by Simona Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 pm

yes, very happy with CD review.

Gone straight to the point.... Sony production could have done better as Stan is better than their effort *coughs*.
    I totally agree on the fact that Stan's voice and singing style are the reasons this album can be very successful .... and it will!!! [10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker Icon_king
    josephineperrot
    josephineperrot
    STANning
    STANning

Post by josephineperrot Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:16 pm

yes I agree with you Simo, they did rush it out for the xmas sales lol..but I still love it his voice 'think of me' is sublime I never knew he could sing a motown type song like that till I heard that track!
    I think Sony in some ways did the right thing rush this album out to NZ and here and then work on his album in March..I listened him sing the last part of 'purple rain' and the ending with his higher note was sublime!I listen to his album and realise every day a bit more how truely brilliant his voice is for an untrained singer
    RobynO99
    RobynO99
    STANning
    STANning

Post by RobynO99 Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:07 pm

I posted a comment against the article to the Fish person who was very negative. Don't know if they will publish it.

If Cameron is known to be tough on AI winners, then yes, I agree, not a bad review. He is very positive about Stan and Stan's voice - he is critical of Sony's production.

Cameron clearly liked Stan's take on Single Ladies which didn't make the album - so he has been following him. Also he says "But the reason Walker won is that voice. And that voice soars all over..."
    Brevity may also be a rights issue - I'm not sure.

I'm not worried - the album is enough to showcase his voice.

Not sure about the sleeve of the CD by the way - looks like it got wet after printing. The "smudging on the black is nice, but on the white it just looks dirty.

Last edited by RobynH99 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Keep adding stuff)
    josephineperrot
    josephineperrot
    STANning
    STANning

Post by josephineperrot Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:45 pm

haha you keep adding or deleting? that is what I read in a post in idol weeks ago how tough that Cameron was on idol contestants but you cannot complain he must really like Stan's voice. I think they wanted to look sort of old motown type cover..forgot what that article said about it I posted it in here.
    xstan8318x
    xstan8318x
    STAN newbie
    STAN newbie

Post by xstan8318x Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 am

this is pretty good review. thanks.

I've read at some other places, people's random comments about the album being rushed and stuff.

what do they expect?

this is idol and sony after all. it's the same all the other seasons.
    josephineperrot
    josephineperrot
    STANning
    STANning

Post by josephineperrot Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:57 am

yes infinity plus it least he got to re-record his songs again and I love the new album compared to some of the journey albums! are you aussie or kiwi infinity?
    nappunyoja
    nappunyoja
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by nappunyoja Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:20 pm

STAN DA BOMB!!!
    kalaivani
    kalaivani
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by kalaivani Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:45 pm

The review seems quite accurate,and in fact giving Stan the thumps up [10.12.09] Review - Australian Idol's Stan Walker's debut Album, Introducing Stan Walker 333657
    "Introducing Stan Walker" gives me a buzz,his voice live or recorded in a studio is a million buckaroos,love the album and mostly the young man who sings from his heart. love
    josephineperrot
    josephineperrot
    STANning
    STANning

Post by josephineperrot Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 am

Great to see you Kalavani..yes the album is great cant wait for the next one..hope you had a great xmas and new year
    xx
    kalaivani
    kalaivani
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by kalaivani Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:43 am

josephineperrot wrote:Great to see you Kalavani..yes the album is great cant wait for the next one..hope you had a great xmas and new year
    xx
    Thank you Josie,had a great time fishing in NZ.Beautiful country and beautiful people, beats Central Queensland where i live.
    My extended family in NZ think i'm nuts about Stan,and called me a Stalker ha ha! happy dance
    I read you come from a large family -- same here my friend,it had brought me a lot of laughter and love and joy.And everyone loves Stan Walker-- happy happy happy! jumping
    josephineperrot
    josephineperrot
    STANning
    STANning

Post by josephineperrot Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:22 am

yes I come from a huge family, it is great. the older I get, I realise how good it is! my hubby would envy you..he loves fishing, he goes out on his boat when he can.Yes my country is a lovely place, I do miss living there because of family.
    haha..I am sure a few of us Stan fan's feel a bit stalkerish

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm